How are you?
Me: Oh, I’m so busy! Work and kids are taking up all of my time! (aka, I have a great deal to do)
How was your weekend?
Me: Oh my goodness, it was so busy! Between 2 birthday parties, a football game, church, grocery shopping to prepare for the week…I didn’t have enough time! (aka, I have a great deal to do)
Blah, blah, blah. You know the scenario!
The fact of the matter is, we are all busy. It’s really about where you put your efforts and how you choose to spend your time. Laura Vanderkam (@lvanderkam ), best-selling author of several time management books, spoke to us at Leadercast about this very topic. TIME…and when we say we don’t have enough of it, we start to believe it! (To see my past posts about Leadercast, click here!)
How do you make time for things that matter most?
Laura, who is a fantastic presenter, had me laughing the entire time with her stories of her children, her work, and how she manages her weeks to accomplish what she wants. She provided us with some useful tips that have helped her and countless others tackle the time that we have!
- Think through your weeks before you are in them.
- Create 3 categories, career, relationships, self.
- Make essential decisions about those three categories and block them off on your calendar. Don’t pit work against family/relationships/self!
- Think in 168hrs, not 24hrs. Most of us don’t live our lives in days, we live them in weeks according to our work/school schedules. All of the things that you need to accomplish don’t need to happen in 24hrs.
- Build in space. Open space invites opportunities for you to have time doing the things that you love with the people you love. Be careful with the word YES.
So, with all of this being said, and such sage advice, my goal is to carve out more time to do the things that are important to me.
- Play some more tennis
- Golf with my husband
- Volunteer at my kid’s school
- Read somewhere without being interrupted by a small child, husband, or neighbor